Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Make Your Own Ice Pack

I don't know about you, but ice packs and I go together like peanut butter goes with jelly. And I have my favorites. Preferably the ones with gel in them versus's the hard plastic kind. What I didn't know, until I joined the chronic pain/fibro family, was that you could make your own.

Say what? Yep. You can make your own! This made me very happy. I am now not limited to what size the store happens to carry. I wanted a long one for my spine. And those are SPENDY with a capital S. I just about had a heart attack when I went looking for one. So I just grabbed one of those super giant plastic bags that walmart has to store sweaters or take things to the beach and made a ice pack out of it. Layed it flat in the freezer and man oh man. Heaven. (I did ductape the top just so I could be sure it didn't 'unzip' and soak my bed.)  But the smaller ice packs are just as dandy and what I use most of the time.

Oh! And I take them with me! Which is so great that I can make them at home cheaply and easily because I admit to forgetting mine from time to time when I'm buzzing around town. Super easy and quick to make. Just need a bag, some water, and rubbing alcohol. The alcohol is what keeps it from freezing into a hard ice block and allowing it to mold to your body instead. For a harder ice pack add more water. For a softer ice pack and more gel type feeling, add more alcohol. Do use a towel or piece of fabric between your skin and the ice pack to avoid a skin burn.

Just mix three parts water to one part alcohol and pour it into a strong plastic bag that seals well. BAM! You are done. You are welcome. LOL! ;)

Remember that tonight is the night we all get together to share our tips on daily living with chronic pain. See you tonight at the meeting!


No comments:

Post a Comment